The Oxford Dictionary of Idioms presents more than 5,000 idioms explaining the meaning and origin of metaphorical phrases, similes, sayings, and proverbs from thoughout the English-speaking world. Full of fascinating and surprising facts, this dictionary is the perfect guide for everyone with an interest in this most colourful and quirky aspect of the English language.
* Completely revised based on evidence of Oxford's ongoing language research
* More than 350 new idioms and hundreds of new origin notes
* Thousands of real examples both modern and historical
* Easy to use, arranged alphabetically by key word, with an elegant new design
* Thematic index groups idioms by topic or theme: from Death and Fate to Beauty and Love